21 August 2017 |
Top 10 things to do in the Swan Valley 2021
A local's top ten must-do Swan Valley things
This list was created for those with a day or two to spend in the Swan Valley or those with overseas visitors that want to get the most out of a day. In the Swan Valley you can check off those big ticket items, Koala's and Kangaroo's, as well as a world-class wine region, breweries and fresh local produce.
So here we go, our Top Things to do in the Swan Valley, written by a local who knows!
Coffee & Cake at Taylor’s Art & Coffee House
- Perth's Best coffee & art gallery set in a wonderful old farmhouse.
- Rusty (and rustic!) old machinery is dotted around the venue, a nod to the "olden days" makes for an interesting stroll through whilst looking for the perfect table to claim for the morning.
- Food is casual yet homemade and tasty
- Local artist Jude Taylor maybe on hand to show you her homewares, with handprinted designs on linen and silks and stunning Australian native landscape paintings.
- Dog Friendly.
Breakfast or Lunch at RiverBrook @ Upper Reach
- RiverBrook offers small plates and large platters to share and a la carte options.
- Set in one of the most beautiful spots on the Swan River Valley, overlooking vineyards.
- Dog friendly outside only.
Lunch Menu T | 08 9296 3883
House of Honey
- Try their fantastic selection of honey samples and all things honey.
- Lots of fun for kids.
- Live beehive display behind glass- watch the bees make honey inside the shop.
- Dog Friendly outside only.
www.thehouseofhoney.com.au T | 08 9296 3635
Feral Brewing - for the beer lover in your life.
- Tasting paddles of boutique beer and a great casual vibe.
- Feral is much awarded and have a devoted following ...so they must be doing something right!
- Stunning scenery bordering the Swan River, with plenty of space to relax next to the river, or even kick your shoes off and go for a paddle, after a more (or less) strenuous walk through the walking trails.
- Beautiful picnic location with BBQ and toilet facilities.
- There are plenty of photo opportunities, none more exciting than on the bridge over the rapids.
- Bells Rapids is dog-friendly.
Supa Golf & Mini Golf
- Supa Golf is a scream, who doesn’t want to play golf with a football-sized golf ball?
- Great for young and old
- Mini Golf is classic family fun
www.supagolf.com/courses-2/swan-valley T | 08 9296 5566
Swan Valley Cuddly Animal Farm on John Street
- Lots of baby animals to pet and feed
- A train ride that will take the little people around.
- Cuddle rabbits, bottle feed lambs and pet some chicks.
- Pony Rides
- A great place for small children and toddlers...create terrific memories.
www.cuddlyanimalfarm.com 0424 209 730
- Caversham Wildlife Park,
- The place to see more kangaroos together than you’ve ever dreamed of!
- Get up close and personal with koalas, and snap a selfie.
- Hand feed the kangaroos
- Cuddle a wombat.
- Loads of native Australian animals, some you can pet and hold
- Sheep shearing
- Cows being milked –fun for children and adults of all ages!
- Recommended visiting in the early morning to allow time for lunch in the afternoon.
www.cavershamwildlife.com.au T | 08 9248 1984
Margaret River Chocolate Factory
- Chocolate and ice cream- what’s not to love?
- When your pallet needs a break from all of the wine you've been tasting
- Finish on a sweet note.
- Free chocolate samples and wonderful selection, you'll be a kid in a....candy store?!?
T | 08 9250 1588
- The Dogs Breakfast Cafe
- a day out in the Swan Valley with your dog is possible with lots of dogfriendly venues.
- Here you can sit and have a coffee
- Give your dog a hydrobath, plays on an agility course, or has a swim in the dog pool.
- You may need to book ahead for some of these
T | 08 9296 4206
Wine Tasting or Winery Tours at Upper Reach Winery.
- Walk the vineyard
- Discover the grape varieties that make the Swan Valley region so special
- Tour our working winery, wine tasting as you go
- Explore the whole winemaking process. Not many wineries will let you do this, so its an absolute treat, like a special backstage pass.
- Sample the wines directly from tank or barrels, like the winemaker.
Enjoy a relaxed 2-course lunch with sweeping views of the vineyard; one of chef’s fabulous shared platters (your choice of 3) and a seasonal dessert.
Finish up with a tasting of Tawny and Muscat dessert wines at Cellar Door and some shopping. The Cellar Door is full of locally made produce, honey, truffles and preserves which make perfect gifts. Bookings for tours essential.
WINERY TOUR AWARDS:
Gourmet Traveller: Wine | Best Additional Experience Swan Valley 2018
Lux Magazine: Food & Wine Awards | Best Wine Tasting Experience 2018 Perth
If a winery tour is not for you, just pop in to cellar door for wine tasting.
There is so much to see and do in the Swan Valley- one day is not enough...we recommend at least an overnight stay at Upper Reach Spa Cottage to really make the most of your visit.
We look forward to welcoming you to the Swan Valley!
Upper Reach Winery is dog friendly (except for Spa Cottage or inside Restaurant)